Monday, September 8, 2008

The Bird

Brown Steppe Eagle, Nainital Zoo.
Whenever I would picture an eagle in my mind, I would picture it flying high, so high that you can barely see it. They fly without flapping their wings much, just gliding through the sky. They're the strong, silent type, with razor-sharp talons and beak, piercing eyes, and amazing flying speeds. Wiki tells me its on the coat of arms of 26 countries around the world, Its very name in Old English was Eam, meaning the Bird. It was THE Bird, with a capital B.
Seeing it like this, in an enclosure thats just about enough to hold it and its watering bowl, all I wanted to do was to let it free. Back where it belonged, high, high up so you could barely see it.

1 comment:

Miheer Desai said...

I agree. I've always felt pathetic on seeing majestic animals lions, tigers, eagles caged in a zoo...almost domesticated...seems to be mockery of their nature.